[Gloucs] Testing wierd browsers...

Iain Calder gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Aug 29 23:33:00 2002

Mick Brooks wrote:

>On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 10:49:49PM +0100, Guy Edwards wrote:
>

>>As a side note, that funky little icon doesn't appear in Mozilla, but
>>neither did Googles icon, I take it it doesn't appear for any site with
>>Mozilla? Possibly Opera too?
>>

>True and true.

As I understand it, Mozilla will display the favicon if the page
contains a line like

<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.mydomain.com/favicon.ico">

in the <head> section.

Mozilla certainly does display a favicon for sites like
'theregister.co.uk' which have such code embedded.

This is presumably a more 'server-friendly' approach than IE which
appears to request a favicon for every page whether it exists or not.

Iain