[Gloucs] Boot loader clarification

Paul Broadhead gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Dec 2 00:22:01 2002

Hi Folks,

At the meeting last week I was talking to the two chaps from Hereford
and sharing my rather limited knowledge about boot-loaders.  In case you
chaps from Hereford are listening, I now have to eat humble pie at admit
I think I made a blunder!  I was saying how I use grub which modifies
the boot sector of the hard disk to provide a boot loading program.  I
was unable to remember the name of the other popular boot-loader (lilo).

John helpfully added that he used lilo I believe.  At this point I got
confused as said that lilo was a dos program that could be used to boot
Linux from a dos/windows partition without using a boot-loader.  I was of
course talking about loadlin.  Lilo is indeed a proper boot sector
modifying boot-loader, the one who's name I could not recall.

I hope that clears things up for both the Hereford guys and John.

Backs away, bowing humbly and hoping this will all be forgotten......

Regards,
Paul