[Gloucs] ** Next Meeting 17th December **

Sean Keane gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 17 08:55:01 2002

Some time around Monday 16 December 2002 20:33, Paul Broadhead slipped on=
 a=20
keyboard and came up with:

> Will Roe <willroe@protonic.com> wrote:
> > Would it be possible for someone to copy SuSE 8.1 for me as my
> > CD writer has just died. I need it for a friend who is trying
> > Linux and so far nothing has been that satisfactory. After reading
> > the reviews it seems SuSE is clearly ahead of the competition in
> > terms of ease-of-use and hardware plug-and-pray.
>
> I've already download the 'i386 Live-Eval' edition, I'm not sure you ca=
> download ISO images of the full thing though.  If you can, its well
> hidden on their website.  If you want a copy of the 'eval' version then
> let me know.

ISO's are not available, and we don't have (yet) 8.1 disks.  I do have 8.=
0s if=20
that will do, but I won't be there tonight.  Perhaps Guy will pick them u=
p on=20
the way, but you'd best ask him in that case.

However, you or your friend should be able do do an FTP install by downlo=
ading=20
the floppy diskette images from ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/8.1/boot=
/
and writing them to disk... use dd if in linux or rawrite in dos/windows.

Read the README files first and you should be OK.

Sean