[Gloucs] I-WORM/Opas.A

bjh gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 31 10:33:00 2002

Hi Guy,

Your comments are right on the button - the interesting thing about this
little clever friend is that our systems have all the MS patches for Windows
98, the system running on the particular PC's that were networked, and our
Anti-virus system AVG provided by Grisoft was totally up to date (and on
each PC!), and our systems are set for autorun every morning without fail.

Every other virus attack we have had has been stopped at point of entry by
the AVG programme with no system damage at all, in fact we have previously
had other Anti-virus systems knocked out by virus attacks... As far as
Windows is concerned AVG is the only system that works and it is updated
against new virus strains at least once a week.

The problem with blocking Ports is that you appear to need Ports 137 to 139
for networking and that was the path of the worm attack...

The interesting thing is that since we activated ZoneAlarm Pro as the
Firewall, we have had attacks about every four seconds to Port 137 every
time we go online, which underlines how far this thing has spread, and the
repeat visits to our system by other infected systems based on the IP
address numbers originating the attacks...

Best wishes
Barrie