[Gloucs] I-WORM/Opas.A

Mark gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 31 15:52:00 2002

On 31 Dec 2002, Guy Edwards wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 12:01, Mark wrote:
> > the modern worms have this tendency of going through several different
> > open ports as they use more than one method of entry (little wotsits)
> > beware of more SSL based viruses/bugs in the near future. if you want to
> > be hosting your own site etc, i would highly recommend using what is
> > termed as a DMZ, the majority of larger companies do and therefore, even
> > when their webservers/publically accessible servers are hit, they do not actually suffer any internal
> > damage (other than bad press, lack of consumer confidence etc)
> > 	Of course, Worldcom didn't use that philosophy..thats another matter
> > altogether.
>
> Smoothwall does a quick DMZ by the way, if that's any use. (minor note)
> You'll need an extra network card then of course...

It does indeed, ofcourse those people who dont like "sell-out" companies
should look at IPcop (from the original supporters of smoothwall before
they..."went commercial")

> > Don't think anyone has don't a talk on firewalls and Linux distributions
> > that "are" firewalls....anyone want to volunteer?
> >
> > if no-one wants to jump at the opportunity I can probably throw something
> > together. (I'll have to actually look when the meeting is now before the
> > date, there goes my disorganization).
>
> Is that a definite? Cool. If you want spare equipment or an LCD

well, hopefully someone else will leap at the opportunity to do a
presentation!!! I shall look at the date and look at where im going to be
and let you know by friday probably.