[Gloucs] Help: EPROM Programmer wanted.

Glyn Davies gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Nov 6 22:46:01 2002

Watcha GLUGites.

In a scandalous episode now known as MuppetGate I rhubarbed the BIOS on
my server. It had been playing up for a while (Ooopsing) and I thought a
BIOS upgrade might do it good. Well, it flashed said "Life is good - I'm
going to reboot" ........ and then never came back. The fail safe rescue
procedure whereby you reprogram with the old BIOS via the floppy by
pressing certain keys at power-on appears to be flawed in two ways:

1) It fails
2) It rescues nothing

I am glad to report it does appear to be safe though - not lost any
fingers at least.

So, I'm looking for someone that can reprogram my BIOS chip.

It's a Winbond W29C020-90.

That's a 2Mbit (256K x 8) 5v flash chip, 32 DIL package.

I have the old BIOS and the 'upgrade' on floppy.

Anyone out there able to help?

Someone who lurks on this list has already tried and failed (hardware
not up to the job). Yes.... there is kudos to be had :)

--
Best Regards
Glyn Davies