[Gloucs] pppd and mgetty

Dave Addison gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Nov 21 19:52:01 2002

This is a PGP signed message sent according to RFC3156 [PGP/MIME]

--=_Turnpike_TZG28RCijT394Lkz=

In message <00ae01c290d0$7827b260$0b00a8c0@DELL>, Paul Robertson=20
<paul@jprassoc.demon.co.uk> writes
>Does anyone have experience of configuring a server to accept PPP=20
>connections via an external modem?
>
>I can get pppd to issue the appropriate gobbledegook by typing 'pppd'=20
>on the server, but it doesn't then connect.
>If I dial in from a remote machine I get the usual login prompt:
>
>I've looked at the HOWTOS, but they are quite complicated, and I've=20
>obviously got something wrong.
>
>Ta,
I've rigged this up on a couple of machines using the mgetty package and=20
it just works. You have to uncomment the AutoPPP entry in the=20
login.config file. After that you do get the login prompt but yo just=20
have to configure your client machine to start pppd instead of logging=20
in. mgetty detects the ppp negotiation and starts pppd on the server.=20
The line in my login.config reads
/AutoPPP/ - a_ppp /usr/sbin/pppd file /etc/options/options.server

options.server contains
debug
remotename <pap username>
asyncmap 0