[Gloucs] Electric Eyes and the root window

Will Roe gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Oct 6 00:36:01 2002

--DocE+STaALJfprDB

On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 02:52:51PM +0100 or thereabouts, John Spray wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi,

> ee documentation claims that it has a "-r" (or --root) command line switc=
h to=20
> open the specified image, draw it to the root window, and quit.  The swit=
ch=20
> is recognised (I don't get an "unknown option"), but it's just opening as=
=20
> normal.
>=20
> Googling doesn't turn up much about this ee feature, but it seems a fairl=
y=20
> ubiquitous util.  Is -r working for anyone else, or is this an un-impleme=
nted=20
> feature?  My ee is 0.3.12-5
>=20
> Any alternatives to draw a jpg to the root window from the command line? =
 I'm=20
> getting a little tired of my xsetroot'ed black backdrop, and I'm not pres=
ntly=20
> running anything that takes over the background (just sawfish and panel -=
=20
> keeping it lean).  I guess I could use nautilus, but it feels a bit bloat=
ed=20
> just to draw a wallpaper.
>=20

Since debian decided to uninstall eeyes from the main install I've been
looking at alternatives. A very nice one is qiv. It's an image
viewer/slideshow/whatever. It seems to have a root window option (I've
not tried it, I use Ion WM). Actually there are three - centered
background, stretched background and tiled background. In my opinion qiv
is a bit quicker, and certainly does more than enough for an image
viewer.

Have fun,
Will

--=20
It is impossible to defend perfectly against the attack of those who want
to die.

--DocE+STaALJfprDB

--DocE+STaALJfprDB--