[Gloucs] New member

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Oct 9 19:11:03 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 07:31, Charlie Markwick wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just to introduce myself as a I have just joined the list.

Hello,

There's a meeting coming up on the Sunday 20th October, Nympsfield
Village Hall from 2.00 pm. More details are on the website, hope you'll
be able to make it.

> I had never had anything to do with Linux/Unix up to about 6 month ago when I got Telewest broadband and decided I didn't want to
> pay the significant cost of an MS solution firewall and router. Wanting a software solution I discovered www.startuplinux.com and
> the love affair started. I have now used this solution for two local companies using the same distro and back end novel servers
> running GroupWise.

Cool,

Don't know if it's any use, but you may also want to look at
http://www.smoothwall.org
It doesn't have as anywhere near as many features (it's just a firewall
really) but it runs on hardware as low as a 486, 16mb RAM 120mb HDD and
might be of use in certain interesting situations. ipcops is a near
identical distribution based on the same code but with a less corporate
image on the web interface.

Laters,
Guy