[Gloucs] New member

Paul Broadhead gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Oct 9 21:00:01 2002

"Charlie Markwick" <charlie-markwick@southcot.co.uk> wrote:

> Just to introduce myself as a I have just joined the list.

Hi there!

> I had never had anything to do with Linux/Unix up to about 6 month ago
> when I got Telewest broadband and decided I didn't want to pay the
> significant cost of an MS solution firewall and router.

I use www.smoothwall.org as my firewall also on Telewest broadband, it
just sits there and does its job, I hope.  Linux is also really good for
a desktop machine too, I wasn't sure from your messages if you have
tried that.

> My main target area of work is around Novell and MS platforms but my
> experience goes back to I think MSDOS 3 with a little CPMPLUS thrown
> in.

MSDOS 3 can't be that old, I remember using it myself.....  Oh and
CPM too .....

> My hope for the group is that I will be able to both offer and receive
> help though I suspect that, as a relative newbie, I shall be more on
> the take than the give at first.

You should fit in just fine then.  This list can be a bit quiet
sometimes but I guess that's because Linux is so reliable that no one
has any problems.

Regards,
Paul