[Gloucs] broadband (was New member)

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Oct 10 17:21:01 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 13:16, Tim Ballam wrote:
> BT also came round offering us DSL then when we said yes they said sorry =
the
> exchange isn't being upgraded.

Yeah same experience, BT used to ring my old company in Hampshire up
about twice a month, asking if we wanted broadband. They'd say yes and
BT would say "sorry we can't give it to you". Maybe someone at BT has a
strange sense of humour.

---------

Re: (other message) the problems getting Mandrake 9 to recognize your
ADSL devices, what about sticking a little Smoothwall/ipcops/whatever
box to the modem which will have had quite a bit of work done getting it
to work on all the different connection devices, then run your network
behind it? The Citizen usually has some reasonable cheap pentiums going
for =A350 or so which might have usb ports. I seem to remember someone
offering PII's for the same price on the list although I think it may
have been just an offer for the install day?

Reading in one of the Linux Magazines, Smoothwall 2 is due for release
soon (it's currently available for download as beta2) and should support
all the most popular ADSL/USB connection devices (and uses iptables not
chains along with other things).

snippet from www.smoothwall.org:
"...new USB ADSL support developed directly with the manufacturers of
world leading modem makers such as U.S. Robotics..."

Guy