[Gloucs] recovering rieserfs

David Greenaway gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Sep 19 19:36:00 2002

Hi

Any experts on recovering data from dead file systems out there?

I have reiserfs on the / partition of my laptop. Last night the
system hung (it does that sometimes) but on reboot I got a kernel
panic with the message that the journal size was 0 rather than the
expected 8192, to me this doesn't sound good. I got a rescue system
up and can mount all the other partitions (where thankfully most of
my data is) but couldn't persuade reiserfsck to mend /. I'm going to
reinstall, but before scrapping the partition I'd like to get hold
of a my last 2 months of e-mails (I know I've been a bad boy, I
should have been doing more backups) and one or two other small
text files.

I'm resigned to using dd and grep to ging the sectors containing the
data, but before I do that I thought I'd see if there were any other
suggestions.

If it's at all relervent I'm (not) running suse 8.0 san a 2.4.? kernel.

Thanks for your time.

BTW enjoy heading about the meetings, unfortunately I'm busy Tuesday
evenings so I can't make it.

David Greenaway