[Gloucs] mandrake 9.1

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Apr 6 12:01:05 2003

Hi,

Well it's running, thought people might be interested to know what it's
like.

Biggest changes are the updated kernel, kde 3.1, and qt 3.1 which were
going to be a right pain to update under mandrake 90.

The installer has been beautified and seemed to be easier to understand
without loosing any options. The install ran fine and it automatically
identified and setup my local printer which Mandrake 90 didn't use to
do.

It did ask me in the install if I wanted to download updates to which I
replied yes but it didn't seem to download them, so I ran the update
tool after installation.

the KDE 3.1 desktop looks quite polished, and comes with the new SVG
icons that should be readable at any screen resolution. It came
configured as needing a double click on icons (aka windows) but it's
quite simple to switch it back. kdeartwork wasn't installed by default
so I put that on from the install media. Evolution 1.2 and Quanta 3.1
are good upgrades but they'll be in all the new distributions. It also
uses apache 2 and mysql 4.

I downloaded a nvidia driver from
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_ia32_1.0-4349

My sound wasn't working (SBLive! value) but going into Mandrake Control
Center it gives me a troubleshooting tool (hardware - soundcard -
troubleshooting) and lets me run configuration tools from there. I seem
to remember having the same problems in Mandrake 9.0 but fixed by
switching between the drivers it used.

It's only been running about 30 mins so I'll email again if anything
significant occurs, else thats all.

Guy Edwards <guy_j_edwards@hotpop.com>