[Gloucs] Meetings + Suggestions

john mckeown gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Apr 23 15:11:00 2003

Yesterday's turnout was up on March, with 4 new people.
Discussion/demo/talk topics included:
TeX, LyX, DTP for Linux, WYSIWYG issues, text editors
RedHat9, Laptops, AOL Linux client (Penggy),=20
Porting apps to Linux (OSX, static libraries eg Opera)

Suggestion:
Aim to have 1 advanced and 1 basic talk each meeting.

Possible schedule? Rejig if new offers want earlier months.

   May  =20
Re-compiling kernel    Francis    ( long )
Linux glossary  ( short )
Installing Debian on SPARC hardware
   June
Databases online (MySQL, PHP)    JohnM    (long)
   July
Crickleigh Park, outdoors; maybe open to families?=20
more social - I plan to bring some picnic snacks
(alt. Robinswood Hill, not so easy to get to?)
  August
Shell scripting & BASH    (long)
CrossOver Plugin demo   (short)
  September
Document repurposing: XML > TeX    (short)
  October
  November
Open Day=20

Other talks in pipeline? Suggestions or offers please...
Smoothwall and firewalls    tbc
Python  tbc
OS X (anyone got a Mac?)

We need confirmed months for offers so website can feature them.

Distro demos sought or tbc:
Mandrake 9.1
SuSE 8.2
Xandros

FrancisB suggested more structure e.g. a time for questions

Radical suggestion:
we should actively seek Mac OS X members (e.g. any Unix user)
as some Mac users interested in using their under-the-hood Unix=20
and advertise  meeting to Macintosh people (e.g. via the Gloucs
Apple Centre people and other media)

Re: University
I'm suggesting an Open Day at Park Campus in November;
as a joint venture between University Unix Club (UUC).and GLUG
+ UUC presence at Freshers' Fair advertising Open Day
+ student members hopefully establish UUC as a Uni. Society
by end of May, then book Freshers' stall + room for Open Day
Jill? Matthew? Any student reading this?
I volunteer if need be to stand behind a Freshers' Fair stall.
(a University Unix Club could just meet e.g. once a term)

And/Or would GlosCat do something similar (in Gloucester?)

regards
John