[Gloucs] Volunteer sysadmins needed

Dave Addison gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Apr 23 21:40:00 2003

This is a PGP signed message sent according to RFC3156 [PGP/MIME]

--=_Turnpike_H1NzHXD3mvp+4L4a=

This is a general request for help on an ongoing basis. As some of you=20
may remember, I've been helping to run the network at the Cheltenham=20
Citizen's Advice Bureau. We've now reached the point where some=20
additional effort would help spread the load and also allay some of the=20
bureau manager's fears as to how far up s**t creek he would be if I fell=20
under the proverbial bus.

The current set up has two servers running RedHat acting as domain=20
controller, file and print servers, mail servers, firewalls, proxies etc=20
and a client network comprising about 25 machines running mostly Windows=20
98. In addition we're about to put and unattended system consisting of a=20
thin client + supporting server (RedHat +LTSP) in the council offices at=20
Moreton in Marsh. There are also some tentative ideas about installing a=20
Windows 2003 server.

Projects in the pipeline may (or may not) include

Upgrading the servers to RedHat 9.0 (or 10)
Upgrading the clients to run XP Professional
clustering the servers
maintaining the remote system
Investigating LDAP for user info storage
tweaking firewalls
VPN configurations and maintenance
building accessible versions of the unattended system.

Interviews will be necessary because of the confidential information=20
involved but is anyone interested? The usual way I've been working is to=20
test stuff on my home system before deploying onto the backup server and=20
then finally the main machine. Remote access is possible as is dropping=20
in during normal working hours or most Saturday mornings.
--=20
Dave Addison

--=_Turnpike_H1NzHXD3mvp+4L4a=

--=_Turnpike_H1NzHXD3mvp+4L4a=--