[Gloucs] As if I needed more reasons not to use Windows....

Paul Broadhead gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Apr 28 09:13:00 2003

Iain Calder <iain.calder@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> It's worth pointing out that Windows 95 and 98 are very old now, I
> guess equivalent to the Redhat 4/5 era?  I wonder whether a Redhat 4/5
> install would work on a modern system, with say a new Athlon chipset
> or P4, USB, etc., and in fact there would be no point trying to
> install such an old Linux distro as it would be extremely insecure and
> updates are not available unless you roll them yourself.

This is a valid point and may be I could give one of these old distros a
whirl on that spare 5GB partition.  Or may be I should just, finally,
give debian a try....

As Guy pointed out, the main surprise was that Microsoft will not
release a freely available patch for the problem.  They say that the fix
is not intended for all systems so imply its a special fix for >2.1 GHz
machines.  I would have thought they could provide a one fix suits all
machines patch and have done with it, but what do I know.  Now if the
source was available it would be a completely different story...

Paul