[Gloucs] Gentoo

William Roe gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Apr 29 15:25:01 2003

On Monday, Apr 28, 2003, at 09:48 Europe/London, John McKeown wrote:

> William
>
> Would you do  talk about Gentoo for a GLUG one month?

I'm no authority I'm afraid, just like it. You remember the debian/apt
talk, well:
s/apt-get update/emerge sync/g
s/apt-get upgrade/emerge -u world/g

It's a packaging system based on BSD ports.
That's the thing really, it's 'just' a packaging system. There is no
install program really, you do it.

I'm also really bad at doing talks. No, REALLY bad. I wouldn't be able
to demo installing since that takes...ooohh..about 3 days ;) However,
if there is ever an install day thing (with either a hugely fast
internet connection or prepared piles of CDs full of the sources) I
could help out there maybe.

> Or more generally about source-based distros?

I've only used Gentoo, the others are Rock, and Source Mage. Not used
them since I started with Gentoo when I had a fast enough internet
connection.

>> I've had too many fascinating problems with Gentoo recently

This wasn't meant to sound encouraging ;)

William Roe

Email   : will@wjlr.org.uk
Web     : http://wjlr.org.uk
Mobile : +44 (0) 7980 748 265