[Gloucs] Telewest and Smoothwall

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Aug 6 16:31:01 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 16:01, Tim Ballam wrote:
> Matthew
>
> you will have to tell telewest that you want to add a new MAC address to
> your connection, or you won't get assigned a IP address.......

(Normally I'd say the following...)
or you can loggon from another connection and use the "selfcare"
option on their Blueyonder website to add the mac address of your
red interface.
(but...)

I did this a long time ago (last year) and it worked fine but I recently
went on there from a modem as before and it told me the option to manage
mac addresses was only available for broadband users (presumably it
checked to make sure I was using a blueyonder connection and discovered
I wasn't).... which is interesting because (catch 22) if you can now only
change it from a broadband connection and you cant connect to your broadband
as your mac address hasn't been added, you can't really add your MAC yourself
anymore (unless you already have one that you're connecting from on there).

<petty gripe> Not really selfcare if you have to ring them up to change it is it?

Just strange that they changed it that's all.
Guy