[Gloucs] stories

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Aug 20 19:27:01 2003

Two things happened today that are fairly good. I thought you guys might
like to hear the stories.

Firstly after numerous emails to various important people at my current
employer, my computer hardware stock control PHP/MySQL app is going to be
GPL'd and released on SourceForge tomorrow. This isn't some scrappy
lump of code but a fully working user loan system, using barcodes for
fast access, loan histories, secure user logons, advanced bookings and
automatic PDF paperwork creation (thanks to the person who posted details
about the free PDF library). Anyway, there's now a Linux system on the
main network running Apache, MySQL, PHP and all the usual suspects,
and the code will be released under the GPL tomorrow as I have been ordered
to own the copyright, which is absolutely great of them.

Secondly a little story for you:

Today I'm working in my office, nobody else is about as it's not term
time. I hear a load banging in the corridor - a main college computer
room got broken into last week and a main network pc nicked so I'm quite
jumpy. I stick my head into the corridor to find someone trying to break
into one of MY computer labs with a hammer (and it's got Linux machines in).

"Oi! What you doing?"

He legs it for the back stair case which is great: I have no doubt I
fight like a wimp but I can certainly outrun some smelly criminal
especially in my own building.

I leg it down the stairs after him and he pegs it through the next
corridor where all the offices are, I shout another big "Oi" as
I leg it after him up the corridor and he flies round the corner
into the next stairwell:-

*straight into a door*

ha ha ha ha

I come round the corner to find him lying on the floor with a cut face
and a fair bit of blood. He's managed to go straight through the safety
glass on the door and isn't running anywhere for a while.

The police turn up, he's led off in handcuffs...... Yeah!

Guy