[Gloucs] virtual meets on IRC channel

Francis Barton fbarton at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 10 01:18:36 GMT 2003

I have mentioned this once or twice before, and now think that there are
good reasons for proposing it more seriously.

We have an IRC channel (#glug on slashnet) where a few of us are known
to pop in occasionally, usually late evenings.

I propose that we decide a certain evening each week when as many of us
as can turn up in the channel and chat/troubleshoot/plot world
domination etc.

Three reasons:
1. The channel is a v. useful thing to have but it's not much fun when
you pop in and it's just you on your own. So if you knew there would
definitely be some people online at a certain time it would be an
incentive to use the channel more.

2. The LUG is getting larger and larger (hurrah!), but this means not
everybody could necessarily get the help they needed at a physical meet.
Also, probably >50% of the group can't regularly make the monthly
meetings, but would still appreciate a place to chat about Linux with
local people.

3. Real-world meets are good for some things, when hands-on help is
needed; I'm not trying to get rid of them by any means. The mailing list
is good for other queries where a considered, researched, hand-crafted
and literate response ;-) can be expected and then easily stored for
future reference. I'm not trying to supersede the list. But sometimes
you want quick responses and a good dialogue with a particular
individual in order to get your problem solved. That's where a weekly
IRC meet would work really well IMO.

So who's for Sunday evenings 8-12? Or any other times people want to
suggest instead...

Francis