[Gloucs] Replacing an Exchange server

Dave Addison gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Feb 3 18:28:04 2003

This is a PGP signed message sent according to RFC3156 [PGP/MIME]

--=_Turnpike_XhG3ypACJrP+4LrL=

In message <3E3DB526.90509@walmore.com>, Glyn Davies <glynd@walmore.com>=20
writes
>Yo LUGgables!
>
>Odd how many posts are MS related :)
>
>OK. I have a Linux box running samba that has rather smartly put a MS=20
>server on the dole. However, the clients (a range of MS Windows desktop=20
>boxes) need to run Outlook. The Linux server supporting POP3 and SMTP=20
>works like a charm but it is sooooooooo annoying sending an email via=20
>Outlook. You keep having to add addresses each time you send one. What=20
>I want is for a global email address book to be available to all users
>
>So, can anyone reccomend a way of doing this? OpenLDAP looks like an=20
>answer. Any others? Anything that supports Outlook calendaring would be=20
>cool.
>
>I could delete Outlook and use Mozilla but does it support shared=20
>address books? And what about calendaring?
>
>Any advice gratefully recieved.

I think there are two options. Outlook 98 and later have the option for=20
shared folders if installed in "Internet only" mode. Otherwise Bynari=20
software do an outlook plugin which allows an LDAP server to be used as=20
a global address book. I haven't tried it but I have used their other=20
widget which allows you to use a standard IMAP server as an exchange=20
replacement and that works fine
--=20
Dave Addison

--=_Turnpike_XhG3ypACJrP+4LrL=