[Gloucs] Wu-ftpd

Iain Calder gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Feb 18 20:55:01 2003

Dan Hawes wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>What am I not doing with regard to wu-ftp to not be able to gain access?
>I have installed anonftp and wu-ftp and got the thing going up to a
>point, that point being when I go to log in it says 'Login
>incorrect..Error logging on to...'.

If you don't have to use WU-ftp then I'd recommend Pure-FTPD instead.
 WU-ftp is a bit of a dinosaur now and does not have a good security
record.  Pure-FTPD is modern, fast and very easy to configure.

Homepage is at http://www.pureftpd.org/ and you can get RPMs at
ftp://ftp.pureftpd.org/pub/pure-ftpd/releases.

Install the RPM, '/etc/init.d/pure-ftpd start' and you should be away.
 Options can be set in /etc/sysconfig/pure-ftpd but users should be able
to log in by default.  If you want to jail everyone to their home
directory by default you can set

--chrooteveryone

in /etc/sysconfig/pure-ftpd, otherwise to 'jail' users to a particular
directory simply put a '/./' in their home directory path specified in
/etc/passwd.  For example, to allow user 'bob' access to  /home/apache
the entry would look something like:

bob:x:501:501::/home/apache/./bob:/bin/bash

Iain