[Gloucs] I-WORM/Opas.A

bjh gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jan 1 18:59:00 2003

*** Response

******************
----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Edwards" <guy_j_edwards@hotpop.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Gloucs] I-WORM/Opas.A

> Last post I spotted an error, the Smoothwall community site:
> http://www.smoothwall.org/home/
> has the GPL version right across the front
> http://www.smoothwall.org
> doesn't of course. My mistake.
>

> On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 21:47, bjh wrote:
> > Any idea if Smoothwall will work using the BT ISDN connection???
>
> read their faq and it might tell you... :-)
> http://www.smoothwall.org/download/pdf/docs/0.9.9/doc.faq.pdf
> http://www.smoothwall.co.uk/support/faq/

*********************
*** Thanks we had tried to access the pdf without success when we went on
their site.
*********************

> > We have other old computers that sound as if they could be used for the
> > purpose... Could one  be used with the Sitecom Wireless Networking
> > Adapters - to communicate with our two main PC's???
>
> p23 of their faq and troubleshooting guide tells you how to get a list
> of all the NICs it currently supports.
>
> They do seem to be working on more wireless stuff:-
> http://www.smoothwall.org/home/articles/dang/20020103.wireless.html
*********************
*** Thanks
*********************

> > *** From previous off network dialog with John Mckeown I think we would
> > probably go for SuSE 8.1 combined with Win4Lin so that we can still
operate
> > a number of windows based programmes we use for business purposes and
are
> > proven performers - We had actually been thinking of Mandrake 9.0 (had
got
> > as far as getting the Distro CD's for the system - but John had a number
of
> > problems with Mandrake from what he said.
>
> Distro war! Resisting the urge to jump up and down like an animal
> ranting about how Mandrake is the "one distribution", I'd say try them
> both out for a few days and see which you get on best with.
*********************
*** Steady (smile!) - the main concern is the ability to use Macromedia
Dreamweaver MX (which website builder programme do you use???).
*********************

> > Incidently I notice in Linux Magazine that
> > SuSE has a Firewall package as part of the Install....
>
> I think all the modern distributions will have something very similar.
>
> During the install it asks you what services you want the Internet to be
> able to connect to, and you can set your own custom firewall rules at
> the same time. I think Redhat 8.0 does something similar during install
> but I can't remember.
>
> After install, under Mandrake it's (GUI)
> Mandrake control center -> security -> firewall
>
> > *** The hits have been coming from all over the world and are separate
from
> > any of the ISP hits...
>
> You must be very popular then. Feel privileged so many young hackers are
> interested in your machine :-) (sorry, not much useful I can say here).
*** I think what has been clearly established here, as evidenced by our
experience today with our Slave Computer is that this particular group of
virus strains remembers the IP numbers of infected computers and goes back
to them - sounds strange, but how else do we explain  what has happened
today???