[Gloucs] I-WORM/Opas.A

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jan 1 22:11:00 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 20:15, Mark wrote:
> > Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 5:09 PM
> > Subject: Re: [Gloucs] I-WORM/Opas.A

Something went weird with my mail again didn't it? Hotpop provide an
interesting(cough) service but it's free so I won't moan too much.

> > *********************
> > *** Steady (smile!) - the main concern is the ability to use Macromedia
> > Dreamweaver MX (which website builder programme do you use???).
> > *********************

I use Quanta Plus but I don't use many of the features to be honest. I
just use it as a glorified text editor. Sometimes it's handy to do a
quick preview, but if you're doing a PHP site (where each page might be
3 php files) then the preview pane won't be overly useful.

I wouldn't use a site creator program nowadays (WYSIWYG or whatever)
because I know enough html to be able to lay a site out. I'm more
worried about the code underneath and how it will show on other
browsers, how quickly it loads and whether it roughly follows the W3C's
ideas.

I can see how a visual editor makes it quick to try a new idea
artistically mind. I sometimes end up doing things exactly the same was
which isn't very imaginative. It's amazing what code you can reuse with
basically just a stylesheet change: (these too are open source project
sites which are near identical in the way the html is written)
http://mailist.sourceforge.net/
http://phpbddb.sourceforge.net/

(these are sites I made before I knew CSS all that well which is why
they use Javascript and not CSS for the image rollovers)

If I wanted a better website program under Linux it would be Quanta Plus
but a bit more responsive (quicker) with more up to date support for
xhtml etc, also a CSS editor that opens up and lets you click a color
like under Homesite. Also a "proper" HTML validator (I believe what it
has at the moment is called a linter or something similar e.g. it checks
the code over but doesn't work to a DTD)

...or in true open source style I could wander over to their website and
see what I can do to help the project and get these things done rather
than moan about it ;-)

> VMware, very effective, yes more expensive but you do get much more for
> the cost. (and doesnt really matter what Linux OS you put as a host)

I heard VMware was supposed to be very robust and I thought it had come
down in price (due to competition from win4lin etc?)

Guy