[Gloucs] OpenOffice.org bug

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Jan 5 15:59:01 2003

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 14:40, Brian Wilkinson wrote:
> If anyone could guide me to a fix on this it would save whats left of my hair.
>
> I tried running oowriter (from the taskbar and command line) on my redhat 8
> installation yesterday - nothing. None of the OOo clients run in fact. I
> uninstalled and re-installed it from the distro but to no effect. I
> uninstalled and re-installed the latest OOo from the website but to no great
> effect. I tried uninstalling everything I could think of that I may have
> installed since the last time I used it - which was a while ago so I may have
> missed something - and still nothing useful. The seagulls emblem comes up
> with the new install, followed by a combo box saying 'An unrecoverable error
> has occured'. Nothing changes in /var/logs and no other error message is
> available.

Just one tiny thing (it's a uninformed guess)

When you uninstall the rpm I'm guessing it leaves behind the folder
~/.openoffice
where it stores all its settings. When you reinstall I'm guessing it
just uses the old settings again.

Seeing as you say it was working fine before, I would make sure that
folder was wiped in case there was some strange setting or corrupted
file that was making it crash. Then reinstall (OpenOffice). Probably
wont work but it's nice and quick to try.

Guy