[Gloucs] Re: gloucs digest, Vol 1 #110 - 1 msg

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jan 17 17:16:01 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 23:51, Simon Harding wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure on the process here, I am new to the User Group and have just
> started reading the mailing list.
>
> I would be interested in finding out about the LPI 101 course and the
> sessions you are doing on it. Is it possible you could please provide me
> with further information?

Well, it's like this,

It's me doing a presentation and providing some facilities for going
over the LPI 101 exam. It's nothing to do with Gloscat, I'm not taking
any money off anyone and I'm not responsible for anything.

On Monday I was going to cover basic command line use topics which might
seem out of place if you're new to Linux but it'll make you much more
comfortable with using it.

I think I said that Gloscat car park was open for parking around 6, well
it's actually open just after 5, so that should make it slightly easier
for people parking. Please don't bring laptops because they get a bit
funny over them.

We'll probably be using SSH terminals to a Linux server, but I'll try
and sort out a different room for another time with some real Linux
machines in.

Don't forget Tuesdays the LUG meeting as well.

Guy

here's a repost of my earlier post if you missed any details:
Ok, *remember* this isn't endorsed by Gloscat or anything like that and
I'm not a lecturer, but we are allowed to use the room, so if anyone's
interested in attending a free LPI101 revision session I'll be giving a
talk, with practical demonstrations and terminals etc. Here's the
details:

Date: Monday 20th January 6.10pm - 7.40pm (ish)

Covering: (from the lpi subjects http://www.lpi.org/p-obj-101rel2.html )

* Working on the command line
* Performing basic file management
* Processing text streams using filters
* Using streams, pipes and redirects

Also if there's enough time:

* Creating, monitoring and killing processes
* Modifiying process execution priorities
* Searching text files using regular expressions
* Performing basic file editing operations using vi

Location:

Gloscat Brunswick campus, the tower block. It's the bit round the back,
or walk in through the main entrance and ask where the "tower block" is
and they'll tell you to follow a blue line which runs along the wall.

4th floor, room C407.

The multistory car-park is nearby, but if you drive past Gloscat and the
entrance barrier is up in the evening then it's ok as far as I know to
go in and park in Gloscat carpark (provided you're out before 9 or
whenever they close it that night). If the barriers down you'll need a
pass.

About 6 people emailed to express an interest, so if you're feeling like
attending, send me an email off list so I know roughly what number of
people to expect.

Guy

If it all goes well then I might do one the week after, which will
probably be along the lines of:

Using file permissions to control access to files
Managing file ownership
Create and change hard and symbolic links
Find system files and place them in the correct location
Probably a test on the last weeks topics too if people feel like it.