[Gloucs] Re: Guy's Linux class

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jan 21 16:17:02 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 09:18, john mckeown wrote:
> Thanks for your LPI class, I enjoyed
> the session, very helpful, and interesting
> to be on time-share system at class,
> seeing effects of others actions as they
> type, whereas up to then I'd only ever
> experienced Linux on a home PC.

Thanks for the feedback, it started out really simple but hopefully
everyone learnt a bit. It should get a little harder each week.

Basically I had about 20 minutes to prepare this week due to the Server
acting bonkers (technical term). Next week I'll actually have some kind
of thought-out structure to the presentation and I'll have some
demonstration files to process on the server and a handout of some sort.

This is what we did this week (+other things I can't remember):

streaming: >, >>, <, <<, |
using variables: export, set, unset, echo, env
aliases: alias, unalias
processes: ps, kill, nice, renice, top, fg, bg, &
other: man, pwd, .profile .bashrc, --help, which, whereis, ls, cat, ",
', `, sleep, more, grep

Looking at the things for next week I think I said we'd do some vi

"Candidate must be able to edit text files using vi. This objective
includes vi navigation, basic vi nodes, inserting, editing, deleting,
copying, and finding text." (LPI website)

which should be pretty good. I think I also said we'd do processing text
streams but I'd just like to fill some holes in what we did last time,
cover file management (mv, cp, rm touch etc) and file permissions along
with vi. That should fill up the lesson pretty well but if there's time
we can start on text processing.

The text processing will cover
cat, cut, expand, fmt, head, join, nl, od, paste, pr, sed, sort, split,
tac, tail, tr, unexpand, uniq, wc

Guy