[Gloucs] Win4Lin

John McKeown gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 4 08:31:04 2003

Francis Barton wrote:
> W4L should probably allow me to do everything while still having access
> to my Linux files and programs.

Yes it's good. The main issue is which of your files you keep in the
Win4Lin directory tree: default ~/mydata/   When looked at with
Linux each subdir has a .mappedfiles directory with a tiny file
corresponding to each real file. It runs printer etc via Linux.

I'm experimenting with using CrossOver Office/Plugin alongside
Win4Lin. CrossOver does far fewer apps and rather shakily,
but seems more closely integrated with Linux - it adds
newly installed apps to the KDE app starter.

> Although apparently the networking
> capability isn't great. Maybe Samba,

I've used LinNeighborhood (front-end for Samba I think)

regards,
John