[Gloucs] Gloucester, Presario, SuSE

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 22 08:52:01 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 06:12, John McKeown wrote:
[snip]
> Radeon IGP drivers all well. My friend needs to restore XP at
> home and then use PartitionMagic and re-install SuSE.

err.. are you sure?
If you're going to reinstall everything then why not wipe the lot during
the XP install then select half you drive for a NTFS partition, leaving
the other half unformatted space for Linux. During the Linux install,
install onto the blank section of you hard drive - no PartitionMagic
required.

> But he has 8.1 'Office Desktop' which I now realise lacks Apache,
> MySQL etc. SuSE updates already installed packages via FTP,
> but how does it install new packages that aren't on CDs?

I'd go to ftp.suse.com, all the packages are there e.g.
/pub/suse/i386/8.2/suse/i586

Guy