[Gloucs] Gloucester, Presario, SuSE

Dave Elliott gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 22 12:29:01 2003

John,
  I have just seen your message and the replies so far. It sounds like th=
Win XP restore disc is not going to be over helpful - so nothing new from=
 MS
there!

I wondered if the following convoluted tale will give you any clues.  I h=
ad
a machine with Partition Magic, Win2k and SuSE 8.1, the OS's being on
different discs for convenience. (I realise that whether I actually need =
PM
is a separate discussion!)

I loaded SuSE 8.2 (from the cd distribution) onto a spare partition  on t=
he
'Linux' disc - (I may have made a mistake with not preparing PM and/or Su=
SE
installer correctly so the situation MIGHT have been avoidable) - and Win=
2k
promptly became inaccessible as SuSE stopped PM .

I 'fiddled' around with the PM cd (which boots to a version of DOS to giv=
access to some DOS versions of the PM tools) and finally found a 'restore=
'
style utility which I presume restores the MBR record to PM's liking. (So=
rry
I forget the name but it must have been fairly self-explicit.)

[ Note that you might have to 'manually' find your way around the DOS-sty=
le
'discs' - in addition to boot drive it creates a couple of RAM drives, on=
with utilities on it - with letters at towards the end of the alphabet
(check a,c, x,y and z, I forget which were useful). On my machine it tend=
to crash on entry due to a known bug (with larger discs?) which makes
finding the utility you want a bit more frustrating but not impossible. (=
It
might be a little easier if you create the floppy discs from the PM cd -
unfortunately my machine only supports a USB floppy & I am too mean/broke=
buy a USB floppy for odd moments like this!) ]

>From then on I could get to both Windows and Linux which should be all yo=
need to do.

[In my case with two Linux versions, I had to disentangle the way grub wa=
using the 8.1 partition to boot the 8.2 partition with a little selective
copying etc. Then enable the selection of 8.1 or 8.2 from PM instead of
grub. (I wanted to be able to delete the 8.1 image sometime in the future
without loosing the ability to boot 8.2!)]

In summary, this suggests:
 Load XP
 Load PM, shrink NTFS partition, make any useful PM discs you can find, s=
et
PM to install SuSE
 Install SuSE
 Be prepared to 'resurrect' PM if necessary from the cd or floppy restore
discs.

But of course my only relevant experience is that described above - beyon=
that I can only wish you luck and a lot of patience. (The other replies
relating to 8.2, the advantages of Linux etc cover that side of the
discussion.)

Regards
Dave

----- Original Message -----=20