[Gloucs] Problem while installing Slackware 8.1

Francis Barton gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jun 13 23:48:00 2003

to put Linux onto? I think I'd just start completely again and reformat etc.

Can you take us through the answer to the question above please Alex?
Slackware installs shouldn't be this difficult!

Sounds to me like either:
a) your new partitions have not been properly written to the MBR, or nor formatted
before installing, or
b) Your install disk is faulty (quite possible although a last resort I
suppose)

I don't think the install program is buggy as it has worked for everyone
else with Slackware 8.1! I know you said you had done a) but it does seem
that it hasn't done it properly.

Can you boot into Windows - and can you read the install CD files and
directories okay in Win? Have you read the install FAQ etc on the CD? There
are clear instructions on all the install procedures. If you can't find
them I can email you the necessary instructions.

Quite happy to have a look then or even before - where are you Alex? I could
probably pop in to see you and have a look if you like. I can bring my Slack 9 CD too so
you can forget 8.1 !!!
<evangelism>
Slack 9 is perfectly stable and has GNOME 2.2 (beautiful) and Konqueror
3.1 (tabbed web browsing: yeah!) as just a couple of improvements over 8.1 I can think of.
</evangelism>

I have a dual-boot setup too which might help.
Although I'm proud to say my Windows partition must be getting quite
dusty - hasn't been used for ages.

<tangent>
It's funny, when someone like me converts over from Microsoft, and
struggles to get used to Linux, you keep using Windows for a while, because
you're used to it. You know what does what. You keep wanting to really
_use_ Linux as opposed to just trying to fix problems all the time, but all
your real work stays on Windows. You keep wanting to be like the wonderful
technical successful people on the mailing list who understand it all.
These people don't really exist, however, but it helps you to remain a
shameful and guilty MS-user in your own mind.

But after a while, you get on top of the glitches and start to use Linux
properly and you find you have learnt a lot from all your mistakes and
trials. And after a bit longer you find you're just de facto using Linux
all the time as a perfectly usable and featureful desktop and you don't
even have to think about it. For me that process took about 18 months (I
had a lot of problems!) but it is definitely worth it.
</tangent>

HTH
Francis