[Gloucs] books on snort, squid and similar?

Jill Tovey gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jun 17 09:36:01 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 19:40, Guy Edwards wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 18:59, Jill Tovey wrote:
> > I have a couple of IDS books.
> >
> > "Intrusion Signatures and Analysis" by Northcutt, Cooper, Fearnow and
> > Frederick
> >
> > and
> >
> > "Network Intrusion Detection, An Analyst's Handbook" by Northcutt
> >
> > If they're any good?
>
> Yeah they're good, swap at next meeting?

Yep no problem

> > Also, the Snort site has some good papers on it
> > (http://www.snort.org/docs/) if you haven't seen them already.
>
> Yes, been looking through it today. The Snort, Apache, PHP, MySQL, ACID
> on Redhat 9.0 document looks complete and modern. I'll try and give it a
> go this week. http://www.snort.org/docs/snort_acid_rh9.pdf

That one looks quite good.  I used the Steven J Scott enterprise one
when I did it (I think he might have more up-to-date ones now on his
site www.superhac.com ) - its clear and detailed, might be worth looking
at if you're thinking of installing the whole lot - acid etc
I came across a fair few problems when I installed the enterprise, I was
using mandrake and different versions of things but then other people
have gone through the manual with mandrake and said it all went fine no
problems at all.