[Gloucs] ADSL (at last)

Tim Ballam gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jun 18 09:44:00 2003

The problems with the DG814 are down to the firmware, if you upgrade the
firmware you MUST do a hardware reset by holding in the reset button for
over 20 seconds then all will be well.  If you don't do this you will get
some real weird problems.
I have installed over 20 of these routers and had a problem with the first
one untill I did the above and then no more problems.  Cisco is nice but are
a bit too costly........

An alternative to this could be to use an alcatel xDSL modem on something
like a Mitel SME server (version 6 beta is now out) this will use dynamic
DNS , handle mail, proxy etc...  and you can get the ISO image for free.

Tim Ballam

Senior Technical Consultant

CPC Computers

Tel +44 (0)1452 553344