[Gloucs] Switch for ADSL modem/router

Dave Elliott gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jun 30 13:36:01 2003

John,

  I have just seen your message - hopefully you have it working by now.

  If not I was slightly surprised by Charlie's answer - but as I have never
had an ADSL router as such, he may well know something I don't... .. and
with the mental health warning stated ...

With hubs or switches in my experience, the outputs have been configured to
connect to a computer network card (NIC) using a straight cable. This means
that to link two hubs or switches together you need to add a crossover (to
make one look a network card) - depending on the actual model this can be
achieved by any one of:
  1/ crossover cable
  2/ 'special' port  labelled uplink or similar
  3/ 'special' port with an associated switch
  4/ 'special' port with automatic configuration (rather rare
unfortunately!)

I would have guessed the ASDL modem/router would have been configured to
work to a single computer port directly with a straight cable - in which
case connection to a switch would require a crossover by one means or other
as just described.

---------

My general approach would have been to get a PC to work directly with the
modem/router first. Then drop the switch in the middle, ensuring there is a
crossover of some type between the modem/router and the switch and it should
carry on working.

If it doesn't ... and ... you have resolved the crossover/no crossover
question by one means or other  .... suspect the switch - e.g. can it play
any firewalling/filtering/routing/NAT tricks ... and are there any routing
configuration requirements ?

Good luck
Regards
Dave