[Gloucs] Switch for ADSL modem/router

gloucs@mailman.lug.org.uk gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jun 30 18:55:00 2003

It does depend on the router and switch. Normally a single port router will
be a X-over beacuse it will have to plug straight into a NIC and the cabel
they give you will be a X-over. A router with built in hub will either have
an auto sensing port (first or last normally) or manually switchable one.
The switch will be much the same, either have a dual port or as mine does a
seperate port on the side labeled with a X. If this is the case it normally
shares/takes over a normal port. With mine I can't use port 1 with anything
plugged in the X-over port.
All this should be in the manuals somewhere :)

So simple answer is you can use any switch/hub with a X-over port which I
think 99% have. :)