[Gloucs] Re: (Distro CD's)

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Mar 1 12:47:00 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 10:53, Mark wrote:
> > The GLUG is about to acquire its first bit of hardware (that I know of).
> > I'm picking up a disk duplicator tomorrow for the GLUG which will mean
> > we can hopefully burn CD's at LUG meetings (like - 3/4 CD's at a time).
> > It would probably be a very good idea to only use it to distribute
> > download versions of distributions (eg not break the law with it at
> > all).
>
> Aslong as all is being done is the Software is being evaluated, and is
> removed from the system in 24 hours there isnt a problem! *ahem*

As long as you don't break any copyright there isn't a legal problem.
Don't forget the list is archived by at least 2 seperate servers and
searchable from google. I'm not moaning, just pointing out (paranoia!).

Anyway....

Good news is, Andy Bowd from HESA in Cheltenham has donated a monster CD
duplicator. It has one original media drive and four copying drives but
can take up to 6, it also has about 7 SCSI ports on the back. For you
tech heads out there it is a Optomedia Falcon-600 with SCSI bus and hard
drive. If anyone wants a copy of the manual let me know.

I'll take it into work on Monday and get it security marked up with
"GLUG" all over it. It'll take me a little while to figure it out but
I'll try and get to grips with how to work it by the end of this week.

> I'm fascinated, they arent cheap pieces of kit. (well unless I missed
> something!)

It's about 30kg and roughly the size of the computer case I was using as
a stool at the install day. It's got 3 case fans and looks from its
construction like it could withstand a small nuclear strike.

Guy