[Gloucs] meeting

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Mar 24 20:32:00 2003

Hi

I'm not able to attend the meeting which is supposed to be tomorrow.

I haven't rung the pub either but if you're going someone can just give
them a ring tomorrow and it should be fine, they don't seem bothered
ever and don't mind us having the area..

Other news is that Gloscat will be running a Linux for beginners 10 week
course between September and December and a more advanced Linux course
for 10 weeks after Christmas. There will be a lecturer (proper one - not
me) taking the course who has years of *nix experience and is easy to
understand. The beginners course really will be for beginners and the
advanced course should follow on at a higher level, following roughly
some of the LPI objectives. I think they're writing the course lesson
plans this month, so I'll email more details as I get them. The 10 week
courses should be fairly cheap but it'll 2-3 months to find out what
they're going to charge for it.

To summarise, I'd recommend the beginners course if you've only just
bumped into Linux and want to know what on earths going on, and the
advanced course if you use Linux but haven't explored the command line
or other similar. (eg advanced is not scary guru level - it's for higher
level beginners)

I think there's also one of these =A340 weteachyou online courses for
Linux being offered but I haven't seen it in the leaflets, although I
have seen some of the course content. The packaged online courses aren't
prepared by the college so I couldn't say what quality it is, I had some
minor concerns with the Unix course I took online.

(obscure note) for scary unix people who this might mean something to,
we've just had a HP-9000 server delivered (dual 64bit processor! -
unix), and 3 Sun SS20's (Solaris 9) which are things I've never seen
before. I believe 10 HP C3000's will also be arriving which will become
Linux workstations.

Have a good meeting anyhow,
Guy

---------
ps. Sean I'll do that glug website stuff when I get a spare mo, thanks
for the mail.