[Gloucs] barcoding

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed May 7 22:42:01 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 16:41, jinxy wrote:
> <cut>
>
> > The printer sounds like the main problem, I can see it being a nightmare
> > to get a normal printer to print off an individual barcode on a sheet of
> > stickers. The dedicated barcode printers on the internet all ominously
> > don't have the price tag shown, which usually means it's going to be
> > very expensive. I will keep looking however.
>
> A normal printer of any kind should be fine m8. As for labels, /me loads OO.
> Yep does labels.
> I'm probably missing something because it's that easy? :)

hmmm, if you have a barcode label about the size of your thumb you would
have to do a sheet of A4 at a time or rely on some clever software to only
print on one sticker and not waste the sheet. The system we were making
was for printing off one barcode at a time.

If you have a look on dabs under "thermal printers"
http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-search.asp?action=search&tid=340&ob=price&stab=ref
you'll see the Smart Label Printer 100 which was what I was going to ask for.

(never hurts to ask for new equipment when you're not paying :-)

It's all going pretty fine apart from the barcode image generation script at
http://www.mribti.com/barcode/sample.php
which seems to be complaining about

Fatal Error: : Call to undefined function: imagecreate() in /var/www/html/barcode.php on line 88

line 88 being:
	$this->mImg  	= ImageCreate($this->mWidth, $this->mHeight);

I've got php-gd installed as well as gd2 and libgd2 so I hope it's not
some missing gd function. Anyone any ideas on this?
Guy