[Gloucs] Linux (et al) Certifications

Guy Edwards gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun May 11 13:04:00 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 14:44, Gareth Bromley wrote:
[snip]
> Although covering some of the concerns of the LPI, i think this one has
> dying a slow death like the LPI.

I don't know where you got that from.  I've never had any impression that
the LPI exam was dying a slow death, quite the opposite (before anyone
says it, yes http://www.lpi.org/ is down this morning).

A couple of years ago most IT certification places I spoke to were really
blank whenever I asked about Linux courses/qualifications, and the few
that did offer them were RHCE. Now the LPI qualifications are being
offered by the same places doing MCSE's etc (VUE testing centers). It
could be argued that that's a bad thing but I'm glad it's being offered.

I understand what you're saying about the RHCE being more practical, but
the LPIC-1 is below the RHCE qualification anyway, so it's not meant to
be to the same level. If you want to prove to an employer that you've
reached a certain level with Linux then I've always thought the LPI exams
are quick, cheap and will help place you ahead of the candidate with
nothing. Since LPIC-1 is (by the looks of the content) mainly Unix basics,
I would have thought that it would be ideal for people looking for a
first assistant or junior Linux related position, especially when they're
on a shoestring.

You could add practical elements to the LPI exams but then it would be a
practical exam that would cost more, and the RHCE does that already
anyway. I thought the LPI and RHCE exams aimed for slightly different
markets and I don't think the LPI set of exams is in any danger of dying
as the market for Linux certification is quite clearly growing.

Guy