[Gloucs] PCI Modems

Dave Addison gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun May 11 15:32:02 2003

This is a PGP signed message sent according to RFC3156 [PGP/MIME]

--=_Turnpike_ivWaxxAC6lv+4Lt9=

In message <1052345553.2496.37.camel@linstation>, Guy Edwards=20
<guy_j_edwards@hotpop.com> writes
>On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 16:03, John Kilgour wrote:
>> As a newbe I am installing Linux (SuSe 8.1) for the first time. Can
>> anyone recommend a 56K PCI modem that is currently on the market.
>> Thanks
>> John Kilgour
>
>I know you said PCI, but I've always had better luck with external
>modems and there almost 100% guaranteed to work under Linux. They cost
>a bit more though.
>
>Guy

I've had no problems with PCI modems using the Topic chipset. Trouble=20
is, it rarely says what the chip used is on the outside of the box. The=20
last time I tried with a softmodem, it locked the machine up every time=20
I dialled in. That was a PCTEL based PCI board
--=20
Dave Addison

--=_Turnpike_ivWaxxAC6lv+4Lt9=

--=_Turnpike_ivWaxxAC6lv+4Lt9=--