[Gloucs] ssh/sshd

Adam Langley gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue May 13 12:45:02 2003

--9jxsPFA5p3P2qPhR

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 11:17:53AM +0100, Macdonald-Wallace, Matthew J wrot=
e:
> It's telling me that my password is invalid/incorrect, but I knbow I'm
> typing it correctly!  I've even tried changing the root password on the n=
ew
> box to "12345" (Its not on a real network, just a crossover cable and I've
> changed it back since!) and then trying that and it won't let me login. O=
h,
> and other usernames won't work either...

If you have PermitRootLogin and PasswordAuthentication set to yes in your s=
shd
config then it's probably a PAM problem. Have a look in /etc/pam.d. If you
don't know what to do with PAM files then try this:

# cd /etc/pam.d
# mv sshd sshd.backup
# cp login sshd

(if the `mv` fails, don't worry).

I hasten to point out that PasswordAuthentication should be disabled on a
secure box (as should PermitRootLogin). Google for details on setting up pu=
bkey
auth.

--=20
Adam Langley                                      agl@imperialviolet.org
http://www.imperialviolet.org                       (+44) (0)7986 296753
PGP: 9113   256A   CC0F   71A6   4C84   5087   CDA5   52DF   2CB6   3D60

--9jxsPFA5p3P2qPhR

--9jxsPFA5p3P2qPhR--