[Gloucs] More on SCSI disks

Dave Addison gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun May 18 12:46:07 2003

This is a PGP signed message sent according to RFC3156 [PGP/MIME]

--=_Turnpike_hMkqZJHxH3x+4Le5=

In message <3EC6233B.D68FB4A7@the-sett.nildram.co.uk>, Richard Mellersh=20
<Richard@the-sett.nildram.co.uk> writes
>OK,
>
>With all 3 disks attached
>fdisk reports no valid partition table for sda1 or sdb1
>if I disconnect sdc they recover
>
>I think I'll find some space on /dev/hdaX  and copy the files from sd's
>a & b
>and reformat all 3
>
>Does this sond good?
>
>RM

It sounds like there's some kind of problem with sdc, sda and sdb are=20
probably OK. If you try and reformat them with sdc connected you're=20
probably going to end up with three damaged drives.

It sounds like an electrical problem with the SCSI chain.

Some suggestions would be to try another SCSI cable, the connector=20
you're plugging sdc into may be damaged. Try sdc on it's own to see if=20
it's just not able to work correctly with other drives on the same bus=20
(used to be a problem with some IDE drives and I've got a 2Gbyte SCSI=20
which gets a bit unhappy if it's sharing a bus). Put sdc at the end of=20
the bus to see if it's a termination problem. Check that disconnect is=20
enabled on sdc. IIRC some drives have a jumper to enable this. This=20
allows the drive to disconnect itself from the bus while a command=20
completes. If there is a jumper for disconnect and it's already enabled,=20
disable it because it might not be working properly.
--=20
Dave Addison

--=_Turnpike_hMkqZJHxH3x+4Le5=

--=_Turnpike_hMkqZJHxH3x+4Le5=--