[Gloucs] books

Guy Edwards guy_j_edwards at HotPOP.com
Wed Nov 12 18:59:38 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 00:00, Iain Calder wrote:
[snip]
> Any LDAP questions please feel free to ask as I've been doing quite a
> bit of work with it recently.

Would that be with Squid web cache access by any chance? Or with Samba
or Apache at all? (warning: whole tidal wave of questions brimming)

Talking of Squid, do you use it at all at your work? And do you use any
kind of load balancing with Squid?

I'd like it so that if I had more than one squid server on a network,
the load gets distributed between them, and if one dies the others keep
going without anything stopping. I'd also like to be able to add another
squid machine in at a later date and have it join in with the ones
already present without having to start/stop configure much.

(This was originally a question but in the course of writing this email
I think I've found my answers.)

Just Googling about, I saw the Linux Virtual Server project which seems
to do the load balancing between the squid cache machines and there's a
tutorial that shows how to control the squid boxes with more than one
LVS box using heartbeats in case one dies.
http://www.ultramonkey.org/papers/lvs_tutorial/html/
The same tutorial shows using a program to check if the squid boxes are
alive and update the LVS machines directing tables to reflect it.

Is this how you'd do it or are there better ways?

Thanks, sorry for the big email,