[Gloucs] Seti@home tweaks??

David lists at dcorking.com
Fri Dec 3 17:24:51 GMT 2004

> sheesh... the Linux client download is an .exe!!!!!!!

> |To launch: To use this program, make sure that you can execute it (chmod +x
> |FAH5-Linux.exe) and then run it ./FAH5-Linux.exe
>
> whatever is the world coming to???

I didn't notice that!  But it works!

I didn't worry about fans running full pelt (as my desktop fan is not
speed-controlled - it always sounds like a darn jumbo jet under my
desk).

I did not measure the extra power draw, but guessing with the
processor drawing an extra 100W, running foldingathome or seti at home
could cost around £ 50 a year at home, that you could consider your
donation to the project.  Being mean-spirited, I am not running it
now.

At a large company with wholesale electicity tariffs it could be a lot
less (though remember that 100W of air conditioning costs at least
three times 100W of electricity.)

Foldingathome only loads the processor, makes some demand on memory,
and hardly any on moving parts (hard discs), I cannot imagine it
affecting the life of hardware before the motherboard is obsolete
anyway, provided the server was built with good temperature control.
Perhaps a hardware expert can analyse more deeply.

Running e-donkey kazaa or even BitTorrent at work without permission
might be worth a few very strong words from the boss.  But a company
that says much more than 'turn it off' regarding seti at home is a
company that thinks sysadmins with long hair are a bad thing.

Having said that, business servers often play vital roles.  The
configuration of production servers should be documented, and extra
processes running without change control should be a matter for
re-training or worse.  *With* change control, a cron job to take it
down when max responsiveness of the server is needed, and a trial run,
it really should be great publicity, as the OP said.

David