[Gloucs] 2.6

Iain Calder iain.calder at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Feb 6 23:56:43 GMT 2004

Guy Edwards wrote:

>Just a short question....
>
>Any success stories with upgrading to kernel 2.6 in the LUG yet? Anyone
>running it?
>
>Guy

Been running it since it was released, on a Debian unstable box.  No
problems apart from converting /etc/modules.conf to /etc/modprobe.conf.

Can't say I've noticed a huge speed increase for general desktop use,
but my machine boots a few seconds faster and CD/DVD writing seems to
work much better with no system load apparent even at very high speeds.
You don't need to use ide-scsi emulation any more and can write straight
to devices e.g. /dev/hdb

Iain