[Gloucs] Post Christmas Blues

Dave Addison dave at redmoor.org.uk
Thu Jan 1 17:33:09 GMT 2004

Hi All,

Fired up the machine on the 27th and my 30Gb Fujitsu hard disk had
turned into an inert pile of metal. Looks like it finally succumbed to
the dead controller chip feature that Fujitsu were building into their
drives in 2001. Anyway it could have been worse, I lost the /usr
partition of my RedHat installation and a load of vmware virtual
machines.

It would be nice to get the vmware stuff back though. It would be a lot
faster than rebuilding a load of windows installations from scratch.
Does anybody remember if there was a way of bringing one of these
defective Fujitsu drives back to life long enough to get the data off?

So far I've managed to retrieve 1.6Gbytes from a cold start but since
the file I want to retrieve is over 2Gb that doesn't help much.

Anyway it has forced the issue of which distro to go for now that RedHat
is off support. Looks like Suse 9.0 at the moment. Support for vmware
and nvidia drivers.
--
Dave Addison