[Gloucs] Samba printing issue

Dan Hawes danhawes at fwp.co.uk
Sat Jan 3 14:12:37 GMT 2004

Hi all and Happy New Year,

I have a small problem with Samba, I am hoping someone may be able to shed
some light on this, knowing me its probably something really simple!

I set up Fedora over RH9, all went well except for Samba printing. All the
shares work great, access as before etc, but printing is non existent.

Although the printer (HP Deskjet 895) is visible in the network I cannot
browse through the Add Printer wizard (could before). No problem, I
specified network path and installed the drivers. I got a message from XP
saying was I sure I trusted the source so I ok'd it. Printer shows up in
printers folder fine, open an app, go to print, it says printing, then
nothing. No icon in taskbar for spooling, just sits there thinking its
printed.

Printing from Linux command line via SSH works fine, spits the page out as
it should, so I'm down to Samba or WinXP permissions / config. The only
thing I can see different is I'm now on Samba 3.x as opposed to 2.x.x.
Nothing has changed on XP machine.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful.

Best regards,
Dan Hawes.

[global]

   workgroup = MTPLEASANT
   server string = Samba Server
   hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.

   load printers = yes
   printing = cups
   printcap name = cups

   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 50
   security = user

   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   unix password sync = Yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n

   os level = 33
   dns proxy = no
   preserve case = yes

[homes]