[Gloucs] System Resurrected

Dave Addison dave at redmoor.org.uk
Mon Jan 12 21:53:41 GMT 2004

My dead Fujitsu hard disk has now been replaced with a shiny new Western
Digital with a three year warranty. This now has Suse 9.0 on it and very
nice it is too.

I also managed to recover the old RedHat installation by copying a /usr
partition off another RedHat machine. It got it into a bootable state
but doing "rpm -Va" generated a huge number of missing file messages.
It's now been upgraded to Fedora core 1, just to see if it worked
really. This is another really nice system. There's not much to choose
between Fedora and Suse really (excepts Suse uses Postfix and I've got 8
years invested in learning sendmail).

In both systems, the default desktops work well and look really good.

The only glitch with Fedora was an apparent inability for the nv module
shipped with XFree86  to drive the DVI output from the graphics card.
Text mode worked fine but as soon as X started, I had to change to the
analogue output.
--
Dave Addison