[Gloucs] IPCop and p2p

jim_ashford at lineone.net jim_ashford at lineone.net
Sun Jan 18 15:24:27 GMT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: <jim_ashford at lineone.net>
To: "Gloucestershire LUG" <gloucs at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2004 12:50 AM
Subject: Re: [Gloucs] IPCop and p2p

> > Is the green interface IP static?, if no
>
> >ou could try setting a fixed
> > lease by using the MAC address of the NIC.
>

> Hi Guys
> Any Chance of you using English.
> Confused Newby
> Jim

I'll try and field this one. Assuming you are just on about the DHCP thing.
To forw
>rd a port you need to forard it to somewhere, an IP. Say you use a
laptop which moves networks and you always want it to have the same IP,
for
forwarding or special access, you can set DHCP to do this. The MAC address
is hardware address (if you wil
>), unlike the IP which can be changed. So
DHCP will see the MAC address and say ah ha I know you have this IP. Thus
your laptop always get that one IP.

Help any?

Hi
Thanks for short course, it does make things a little clearer.
Not quite so confused newby
Jim