[Gloucs] Next LUG meeting

Guy Edwards guy_j_edwards at HotPOP.com
Fri Jan 23 21:43:28 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-17 at 10:23, Glyn Davies wrote:
[snip]
> Are there any plans hatched for January's meeting? If not, can anyone
> suggest a venue?
>
> We really need to sort out this venue malarky by the February meeting date.

Since we could do with a meeting place, I was going to ask on Monday at
work if we could use a room at Gloscat, Cheltenham. Anyone got any
thoughts? I've written down what I can think of.

Problems are:
1) Although there's tonnes of parking there, you might have to pay 50p
for a carpark token to get out of the car park. Sometimes the barrier is
up in the evenings so you don't have to pay, other times you have to pay
to get out.

2) If you're bringing in a laptop etc then I will have to sort out some
kind of security tag for the equipment at reception so they know you
aren't running off with college equipment at the end.

3) Can't have food/drink in the computer lab (college policy) so no
sipping a coffee while watching a presentation.

4) Classroom type seating arrangement which isnt easy to change.

Good points:
1) Great big "activeboard" in the room with a projector mounted in the
ceiling. Good for presentations.

2) lab machines can be used for practice installs (I can set the room up
with blank hard drives before the meeting).

3) It's not far from the Chelt motorway junction - Princess Elizabeth
Way near the GCHQ building. This should make it easier to get to for
those who don't live near Chelt.

4) seperate restarant/bar where you could have a break from
presentations etc. (we would have to lock the room when we went for a
break)

5) Hopefully no booking cost.

6) I will place a filter on the internet - e.g. blocking anything like
kazaa, blacklisted websites and the majority of nmap type traffic, but
bandwidth in the evenings shouldn't be a problem though so people who
normally just have a dial-up can download security updates for their
distribution etc.

Shout problems/requests/questions now. I'll be trying to sort it out
next week in time for Febs meeting if eveythings ok?

Guy Edwards <guy_j_edwards at HotPOP.com>